Les Menuires Overview
Les Menuires ski resort is popular for families, with more affordable accommodation than other Three Valleys resorts and provides easy ski-in ski-out convenient access from most properties. It also offers plenty of opportunities for off-piste skiing and many non-ski activities to entertain the whole family.
Les Menuires ski season starts in…
Info & Stats
December 4, 2021 – April 22, 2022
Les Menuires has one of the largest ski zones in France dedicated to children, the two-hectare Piou-Piou Village.
There’s also plenty of fun for adults at the resort, with 160 kilometres of groomed runs, an exceptional off-piste ski area and freestyle and boardercross at the BK Park.
Les Menuires sits at 1,850 metres and has 33 lifts and 76 runs, including 12 green, 34 blue, 24 red and 6 black.
Linked ski area
The 3 Valleys (7 resorts): Courchevel, Bride-les-Bains, Meribel, Les Menuires, St Martin de Belleville, Val Thorens, Orelle
- 600 km – 327 runs (17% greens, 39% blues, 33% reds, 11% blacks)
- 166 lifts
Non-ski activities and experiences
Activities include mountain biking on snow, a four kilometre-long Roc’n Bob toboggan run and a luge called Speed Mountain.
The Sports and Wellbeing Centre has a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, gym, squash courts, badminton, basketball and table tennis and a children’s fun park with a giant castle, ball pool, slides and a rope bridge.
Location & Trail Maps
Transfer time to Les Menuires from:
- Moutiers train station: 25min*
- Chambéry airport: 1hr 15min*
- Geneva airport: 2hrs 10min*
- Lyon airport: 2hrs 15min*
Resorts altitude: 1,850m to 2,000m
*Transfer time is approximate, by private transfer vehicle and subject to weather and road conditions. Shared shuttle/bus transfers have set departure times, take much longer to travel and don’t offer door to door service which is why we recommend private transfers only.
Les Menuires Ski Resort Video
Les Menuires is a family friendly, great value ski resort, conveniently located in the largest linked ski area in the world, the 3 Valleys. With plently of resort facilities and non-ski activities to enjoy for kids young and old, this is a great choice for families on a smaller budget.
Watch this video to find out more…
Les Menuires is a family focussed ski resort situated in The 3 Valleys – the largest linked ski area in the world..
Les Menuires ski resort also offers the cheapest accommodation options in the 3 Valleys and most properties have convenient ski-in ski-out access to the slopes and lifts.
Families, families, families. Les Menuires is one of the best value family ski resorts in the whole of the French Alps. The ski resort mainly caters to families with many activities dedicated to children.
It is the best option ski resort in the world-class 3 Valleys for anyone on a budget.
- Roc’n Bike – at an altitude of 3000m at the top of the Roc des Marches gondola, surrounded by luscious snowy mountains, you can hurtle down the snowy pistes on a mountain bike!
- Roc’n Bob – head up the Roc des Marches cable car before descending the 4km long tobogganing track, featuring banked and tight angled turns.
- Paragliding – see Les Menuires from a different perspective as you fly over the beautiful snow-capped mountains. (Tandem flights are available with qualified guides)
- Wine and dine in a Yurt – Enjoy an evening in a genuine Mongolian Yurt, dining on traditional alpine cuisine, such as soup with smoked ham, Mont d’Or fondue or tartiflette, while relaxing around the warmth of the wood burning stove.
- Scoot’Evasion – Skidooing on bikes that can take 1 or 2 people at a time. Takes place once the pistes have closed for the day and there is no one around
- Sports centre– Les Menuires has an excellent swimming pool and sports centre with state of the art equipment and a well-being area where you can enjoy the hammam, sauna, Jacuzzis and spa jets. A child’s fun area also has bouncy castles, a plastic ball pool and much more for the kids to enjoy.
- Snowshoe adventures – Les Menuires has an abundance of breathtaking nature walks to enjoy the mountain scenery and fresh air
Les Menuires is 2hours 15min drive by private transfer from either Lyon or Geneva Airport.
It’s a 25min drive from Moutiers train station, the closest train station in France to Les Menuires.
A shared shuttle transfer from Geneva will take over 4hrs and will only drop you off at the village bus stop, not at your accommodation – not ideal if you are travelling with ski gear and luggage and don’t know your way around.
- Resort opening – 5th December 2020 – celebrate the opening of the Les Menuires resort and the 3 Vallées ski area with a fun, festive and sporty ski programme. The daytime and night-time events include a ski touring challenge, a showing of the latest freeride films directed by local skiers, a Salomon ski test, concerts and fireworks.
- Christmas Festivities – 24th and 25th December 2020. Christmas celebrations at Les Menuires are sure to be magical and enchanting, with entertainment for the whole family. Come and visit Father Christmas, in front of Les Bruyères’ slopes and enjoy a whole host of Christmas festivities.
- New Year’s Eve Party – 31st December 2020. Ring in the new year in style at Les Menuires. On the programme: fireworks, a DJ and plenty of surprises.
- Week of the Winemakers – 6th to the 9th January 2020 (2021 dates to be advised) Come and discover the wonders of the French vineyards at the “Semaine des Vignerons”. Each year, for 4 whole days, passionate winegrowers come from all over France to present, sell and allow us to taste their wines.
- Salomon Winter Festival – End of January. Try out the all-new Salomon equipment, chat to professional skiers and take part in master classes, before a winter sports show led by athletes, with intermittent DJ sets, closes the festival.
- Trophée de l’Espoir – 20th February 2020 (2021 tba). The aim of this charity event is to raise money for cerebral palsy. There will be a festive atmosphere with musical parades, free hot chocolate and a torch-lit descent of the mountain.
- Ski Open Coq d’Or – end of March. 1,500 young skiers flock to Les Menuires to take on the challenge at the Coq d’Or Ski Open. This event, organised by the ESF (French Skiing School) and the FFS (French Ski Federation) aims to encourage the spirit of competition, but more specifically to spot new young talent.
- 3 Vallées Enduro – 5th April 2020 (2021 dates to be advised) More than 1,500 pro and amateur skiers gather for the 3 Vallées Enduro event where teams of 3 take on these challenges: Géant Freestyle, Biathlon Expérience, Big Air Bag, Boardercross, Triplette des Belleville, Arva Project, Photocall, Family Schuss, Skicross etc. and finish the day off with an awards ceremony and a giant Savoyard buffet.
- Yogi ski – 6th to the 10th April 2020 – (2021 dates to be advised) Enjoy a week dedicated to well-being, sophrology, meditation, concentration, relaxation and yoga, as well as skiing and contemplation.
Next winter, Les Menuires Ski Resort is scheduled to open from December 5th 2020 to April 23rd 2021.
January 2nd to Feb 6th 2021 is the cheapest and best time to go (low season), followed by 6th March until mid-April 2021 (the shoulder season).
For Australians travelling to France to ski during our January summer holidays, we benefit from the cheaper rates on offer in the French ski resorts’ low season. This happens to be when the French and Europeans go back to work and school after the 2 week Christmas and New Year holiday period.
Europeans and the Brits flock to the resorts through February into March (DO NOT TRAVEL from 6th Feb to 6th Mar 2021 as this is the French school holidays). The slopes are extremely busy, the queues at the lifts are long and the price for accommodation is very expensive during that time. Even all the restaurants are booked out!
Typically, in January, the snow is dry with the largest build up. It is also the coldest time, so you will need to make sure that you dress warmly. It is still wise to choose a high-altitude resort in case mother nature has not been kind earlier in the season. Bear in mind though, that snow-making is used to supplement natural snowfall in high traffic areas.
So, not only is January the cheapest time to go skiing in the French Alps, it is also the best time to go thanks to the weather conditions, the lack of queues, more availability and choice of accommodation and you get to breathe fresh air with your loved ones, rather than with thousands of other people!
Les Menuires Accommodation
Great value mostly ski-in/ski-out accommodation ranges from standard apartments to 3 & 4 star hotels.