Les Carroz Overview
One of the closest ski resorts to Geneva Airport is Les Carroz, an affordable, traditional village popular with families.
It lies directly below Flaine at an altitude of around 1,200 metres.
Ski season starts in…
Info & Stats
December 12, 2020 – April 18, 2021
The Kédeuze gondola provides access from the village to the heart of the 265-kilometre Grand Massif ski area in just six minutes.
Les Carroz itself has 15 lifts, with 4 green runs, 14 blue, 7 red and 4 black.
Linked ski area
Grand Massif (5 resorts): Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon, Samoens, Sixt Fer à Cheval
- 265 km of runs
- 148 runs (20 greens, 64 blues, 50 reds, 14 blacks)
- 71 lifts
Non-ski activities and experiences
Les Carroz has a bowling alley and aquatic centre, with activities including paragliding, snowshoeing, dog sledding, ice skating, tobogganing and fat biking.
Location & Trail Map
Transfer time to Les Carroz from:
- Cluses train station: 20min*
- Geneva airport: 1hr*
Resort altitude: 1,200m
*Transfer time is approximate, by private transfer vehicle and subject to weather and road conditions. Shared shuttle/bus transfers have set departure times, take much longer to travel and don’t offer door to door service which is why we recommend private transfers only.
Grand Massif trail map
Les Carroz Ski Resort Video
The traditional village of Les Carroz d’Arâches is located in the beautiful Grand Massif ski area with 80% of its slopes facing north. This means reliable and great snow conditions all season. Watch this video to find out more…Watch Video Now
- Les Carroz is a traditional French alpine village. Previously it was a mountain farming community and in 1936 it became a French ski resort.
- It is located in the 4th largest interlinked ski area in France, Le Grand Massif.
- Les Carroz links up to Flaine where you will find Les Cascades’ 14km run from Flaine to Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval (there, a free shuttlebus takes you to the Grand Massif Express in Samoëns) Les Cascades is the 3rd longest ski run in France and in the Top 10 in Europe. On this beautiful ski run, it is not uncommon to spot some wildlife such as ibex, chamois and mountain hares.
- It is one of the closest ski resorts to Geneva airport (only 50 min drive away)
- Families looking for cheap ski packages in a big and beautiful ski area (Le Grand Massif) with a traditional French mountain village ambience.
- Those wanting to get to the ski fields fast – Les Carroz is only 50min drive from Geneva airport.
- The tree runs are beautiful and the surroundings of the ski area are stunning .. but the village life in the evening is not very lively so Les Carroz is not a destination for party people looking for lively bars and restaurants.
- The best restaurant and hotel in Les Carroz is Les Servages d’Armelle which happens to also have a ski-in ski-out location. It does however, come at a cost. The place is beautiful, classy and cosy with a very welcoming atmosphere.
- The village is perfectly suited for families, especially those with small children and babies. The low altitude and westerly aspect give it a more temperate climate for little ones who can sometimes be put off skiing by extreme cold. Child-care facilities are good; children aged from 3 months to 5 years can go into the local nursery and the French ski school accepts children from 3 years old.
- For couples, we recommend staying at Les Servages d’Armelle and for families looking for self-catered apartments Les Chalets de Jouvence.
- Les Carroz has a family-friendly atmosphere with many winter activities on offer such as dogsledding, tobogganing, snakegliss, snowmobiling, paragliding, helicopter rides, Fat Bike, ice skating (outdoor ice rink), and a great and fun Alpine Coaster which also features a virtual reality run (VR headset).
- There is also a bowling alley which is open every day from 5pm (2pm in the event of bad weather) until 3am. It has 6 lanes, a games room and snack bar.
- Snowshoeing with dinner in a tepee, cross-country skiing…
- You also have access to the winter activities in neighbouring resort, Flaine such as quad ice biking, ice driving, ice climbing etc…
Les Carroz is only 50min drive by private transfer from Geneva airport
It’s a 20 min drive from Cluses train station, the closest train station in France to Les Carroz.
Next winter, Les Carroz ski resort is scheduled to open from December 12th 2020 to April 18th 2021.
There are 5 ski resorts included on the Grand Massif’s 265km of run lift pass: Flaine, Les Carroz, Morillon, Samoens and Sixt Fer à Cheval.
January 2nd to Feb 6th 2021 is the cheapest and best time to go (low season), followed by 6th March until mid-April 2021 (the shoulder season).
For Australians travelling to France to ski during our January summer holidays, we benefit from the cheaper rates on offer in the French ski resorts’ low season. This happens to be when the French and Europeans go back to work and school after the 2 week Christmas and New Year holiday period.
Europeans and the Brits flock to the resorts through February into March (DO NOT TRAVEL from 6th Feb to 6th Mar 2021 as this is the French school holidays). The slopes are extremely busy, the queues at the lifts are long and the price for accommodation is very expensive during that time. Even all the restaurants are booked out!
Typically, in January, the snow is dry with the largest build up. It is also the coldest time, so you will need to make sure that you dress warmly. It is still wise to choose a high-altitude resort in case mother nature has not been kind earlier in the season. Bear in mind though, that snow-making is used to supplement natural snowfall in high traffic areas.
So, not only is January the cheapest time to go skiing in the French Alps, it is also the best time to go thanks to the weather conditions, the lack of queues, more availability and choice of accommodation and you get to breathe fresh air with your loved ones, rather than with thousands of other people!